Project ID: SMR1009
Location: Sheffield Park, East Sussex
Project date: 2018
Owned by the Soames family, parts of the grounds of Sheffield Park were requistioned by the War Office during the Second World War. In 1940 a tented campsite was established before being replaced by two hutted camps from early 1941.
Early occupants included British and New Zealand troops before the site became a predominantly Canadian camp up to early 1946. Excavation by National Trust and SMHS volunteers of one small area revealed the foundations of two Nissen huts and what are believed to have been two ablution/latrine rooms and a network of concrete paths between them.